Useful information and links you’ll need to set-up your new household in Columbia, Missouri. Instructions on how to connect your utilities, telephone, cable, and internet in Boone County, MO.
Once you have a final contract on your new home, it’s time to start getting ready for the big move. The seller should be leaving the lights and water on until the closing day, but you never know. The standard Missouri home purchase contract now allows you to put the utilities into your name up to 4 days before your closing date, so you may want to consider doing that when you establish your new accounts.
City of Columbia Utilities
The City of Columbia public utility company provides electric, water, trash, and sewage services to homes within the city limits.
- New Residential Customers (including rates)
- Existing Customers
- Online Utility Connection Forms
- Transfers and Disconnects
- Payment Options
- Contact Information & Office Hours
- Free Energy Audits
- Other Free Programs Available to Homeowners
- Boone Electric Cooperative (Setting up new service)
Other Boone County Cities
Columbia, MO is served by Ameren UE. The easiest way to establish new service is to call their 800 number. If you’d prefer online connection, here is the link to their residential site.
(800) 552-7583 (Residential Customer Service)
City of Columbia
- General Information & Rates (City of Columbia)
- Trash Collections Days (map)
- Garbage Bag Voucher Program
- Other Solid Waste/Recycling
Private Trash Collection Companies
- T-MAC Solid Waste Removal (877) 442-2844
- Advanced Disposal Services (previously known as Veolia)
- Boonville (660) 882-7595
- Macon (660) 773-5459
Telephone, Cable, & Internet Services
With the advent of bundled services, you can now get telephone, TV, and Internet services from a single supplier. It’s your choice. Here are some of the companies service Columbia, Missouri.
- Ordering services: (877) 787-3987
- Moving services: (888) 723-8010
- Cancelling services: (800) 201-4099
- MediaCom (800) 479-2082 *
- Charter Communications (888) 438-2427 *
- DISH Network (888) 433-4358
- Direct TV (888) 777-2454
- Socket (800) 762-5383
- Tranquility Internet (573) 443-3983 or (888) 326-8638
- Boone County Water District Map (pdf)
- Consolidated Public Water Supply District #1 (888) 426-9426
- Public Water Supply District #4 – Hallsville (573) 696-3511
- Public Water Supply District #9 (573) 474-9521
- Public Water Supply District #10 – Centralia (573) 682-5314
To change your Voter Registration, use the Register to Vote! link at Boone County Clerk’s site.
The City of Columbia is divided into 6 Wards. The following is a map of the City showing the boundaries between each of the Wards.
For information on Statewide district maps for House of Representatives, Senate, and Congressional districts, click here.
Driver’s Licenses and Vehicle Registration
Vehicle licensing and titling is handled by the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR).
What do I need to provide to the DOR to license my vehicle in Missouri?
- Proof of ownership such as the title, registration form, renewal slip, or application for title; and
- Proof of insurance on the vehicle being licensed; and
- Valid safety inspection on the vehicle, most new vehicles do not require a safety inspection; and
- Current personal property tax receipt or statement of non-assessment (tax waiver).
The Boone County Collector’s office can provide a duplicate paid personal property tax receipt for a $1.00 charge. Statements of non-assessment can also be obtained from the collector’s office, there is no charge for a non-assessment form.
BE SURE that you have the property tax receipt (item 4) before you go to the motor vehicle office or you’ll be wasting your time.